Our Practice Areas
Your intellectual property is a valuable asset that deserves to be protected. Whether asserting your rights or defending against claims, our firm can help. Our attorneys can assist in developing an intellectual property program for your company that evaluates your need for patents, copyrights, trademarks or trade secrets. Our attorneys have worked in cases involving all types of technology and in courts throughout the country. Our firm works with clients to develop effective strategies that resolve issues, while being cost-effective as well. We have expertise in all areas of intellectual property disputes including:
- Patent Litigation – Banie & Ishimoto handles all aspects of patent litigation, from pre-filing investigation, discovery, trial strategy, Markman, trial and appeals.
- Copyrights – Banie & Ishimoto handles copyright litigation, as well as advises about obtaining copyrights.
- Trademarks – Banie & Ishimoto handles all aspects of trademark disputes – from counseling about the need to obtain trademarks to litigating trademark disputes to advising about counterfeiting issues. We also have experience in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Trade Secrets – Banie & Ishimoto can assist in developing trade secret policies for your company. We also have extensive experience in litigating trade secret disputes.
- Internet Litigation – Banie & Ishimoto can assist in all areas of Internet litigation, from issues relating to spam, click-through agreements, domain name disputes, and disputes arising out of social networking sites and online gaming.
Businesses face the possibility of legal action every day. Whether filing suit to protect your bottom line or defending against claims that can be harmful to your business, our firm can help. As a practical matter, most business disputes can be resolved through settlements or other cooperative means. Other cases will go to trial. In either event, Banie & Ishimoto prepares each case as if it will go to trial and executes a strategic litigation plan designed to accomplish your business objectives. Our attorneys have represented clients in a wide range of business-related disputes, including:
- Business Torts – Banie & Ishimoto handles a variety of business tort claims, including fraud, negligent misrepresentation, concealment, interference, and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Contract Disputes – Banie & Ishimoto handles a wide variety of contract disputes involving licenses, services agreements, purchase and sales agreements, manufacturing and production agreements, employment agreements, brokerage agreements, and confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements.
- Commercial Disputes – Banie & Ishimoto handles a wide variety of commercial disputes, including unfair and deceptive trade practices, false advertising, privacy issues, truth in lending, and other disputes under state and federal consumer protection laws.
Banie & Ishimoto handles a wide range of securities disputes. We have experience in representing companies and individuals in inquiries by the SEC and DOJ. We have litigated cases involving insider trading, securities fraud, and accounting fraud. We also have experience in litigation involving the registration and the issuance of securities. We have represented clients in securities class actions, and have defended corporations and their directors and officers against shareholder derivative lawsuits.
While litigation is one of many strategies to resolve a dispute, litigation is never the most cost-effective option. Litigation often can be avoided through careful planning and negotiation. Banie & Ishimoto provides strategic counseling to assist you in avoiding litigation, while meeting your business needs and protecting your assets. Examples of such measures include creating and maintaining a strong intellectual property portfolio and structuring transactions and licenses in a manner that will avoid future litigation. Banie & Ishimoto can assist you in determining what courses of action you should take or avoid to prevent a dispute from maturing into a lawsuit.